Return to program book search
Comorbidities in Dermatology
Friday, March 21
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Joel M. Gelfand, MD, MSCE, FAAD
- Christopher James Miller, MD, FAAD
- Misha Rosenbach, MD, FAAD
- David B. Sarwer, PhD
- Eric Lawrence Simpson, MD, FAAD
- Victoria P. Werth, MD, FAAD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Identify patient factors that increase the risk of bad clinical outcomes
- Recognize how dermatologic disorders influence the future risk of systemic disease
- Optimize treatment outcomes through identification and management of comorbid disorders
Nearly one in two Americans (133 million) has one or more chronic health conditions. Comorbidity is defined as the coexistence of two or more medical diseases. Comorbidity is a major public health burden with substantial implications for clinical practice. In this symposium, we will examine the impact of comorbidity on the medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology patient. The impact of comorbidity on treatment selection and patient outcome, ways to minimize the risk of treatment-related comorbid conditions, and the impact of chronic skin conditions on the development of new comorbid diseases over time will be emphasized.
- Crerand CE, Franklin ME, Sarwer DB. Body dysmorphic disorder and cosmetic surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006; 118: 167e-80e.
- Grossman JM, Gordon R, Ranganath VK et al. American College of Rheumatology 2010 recommendations for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken); 62: 1515-26.
- Kimball AB, Gladman D, Gelfand JM et al. National Psoriasis Foundation clinical consensus on psoriasis comorbidities and recommendations for screening. J Am Acad Dermatol 2008; 58: 1031-42.
|Friday, March 21|
|9:00 AM||Oral steroids: Maximizing benefit, minimizing risk / Dr. Werth|
|9:30 AM||Comorbidity of pediatric atopic dermatitis / Dr. Simpson|
|10:00 AM||Drug reactions: risk factors and complications / Dr. Rosenbach|
|10:30 AM||Dermatological surgery in the medically complex patient / Dr. Miller|
|11:00 AM||Psychiatric disorders in the cosmetic dermatology patient / Dr. Sarwer|
|11:30 AM||Psoriasis comorbidity: getting to the heart of the matter / Dr. Gelfand|