Return to program book search
Women’s Health Therapeutic Hotline
Monday, March 24
Four Seasons Ballroom 4
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Jenny Eileen Murase, MD, FAAD
- Whitney A. High, MD, FAAD
- George Kroumpouzos, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Vera H. Price, MD, FAAD
- Kanade Shinkai, MD, PhD, FAAD - Handout
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe a new approach to counseling patients on safety of commonly prescribed dermatologic medications in pregnancy, and recognize the medicolegal implications of prescribing medications in pregnancy.
- Review hormonal therapies in dermatology for acne and female androgenetic alopecia, focusing on safety concerns.
- Discuss medical management issues for nursing mothers, including the safety of commonly prescribed dermatologic medications and how to diagnose and treat nipple dermatitis.
This therapeutics symposium highlights issues in women’s health and hormonal therapy in dermatology. We will review a new approach to drug safety in pregnancy, use of cosmetic therapy in pregnancy, and medical malpractice issues in pregnancy. We will also address the appropriate use of hormonal therapy in dermatology: how does one prescribe oral contraceptives safely? Do finasteride and spironolactone improve female pattern androgenetic alopecia? Finally, we will review appropriate medical management of mastitis in breastfeeding mothers and medication safety issues in lactation. This is a practical course filled with therapeutic pearls and counseling tips.
- Raynaud phenomenon of the nipple in breastfeeding mothers: an underdiagnosed cause of nipple pain. JAMA Dermatol 2013 Mar;149(3):300-6.
- Caring for new mothers: diagnosis, management and treatment of nipple dermatitis in breastfeeding mothers. Int J Dermatol 2012 Oct;51(10):1149-61.
- Caution advised in interpretation of US FDA risk classification for dermatological medications during pregnancy. Dermatol Online J 2012 Oct 15;18(10):15.
|Monday, March 24|
|9:00 AM||Dermatologic medication safety in pregnancy / Dr. Murase|
|9:30 AM||Effect of dermatologic medications on male fertility / Dr. Murase|
|9:40 AM||Q&A / Dr. Murase|
|9:50 AM||Medicolegal implications of prescribing medications in pregnancy / Dr. High|
|10:10 AM||Q&A / Dr. High|
|10:15 AM||Cosmetic procedures in pregnancy / Dr. Kroumpouzos|
|10:30 AM||Q&A / Dr. Kroumpouzos|
|10:35 AM||Hormonal therapy for acne / Dr. Shinkai|
|10:55 AM||Q&A / Dr. Shinkai|
|11:00 AM||Hormonal therapy for alopecia / Dr. Price|
|11:20 AM||Q&A / Dr. Price|
|11:25 AM||Medical management of mastitis in breastfeeding mothers / Dr. Murase|
|11:50 AM||Dermatologic medication safety in lactation / Dr. Murase|