Return to program book search
How to be an Effective Clinician Educator
Friday, March 21
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Patrick E. McCleskey, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Susan Burgin, MD, FAAD
- Amit Garg, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Claudia Hernandez, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Girish S. Munavalli, MD, MHS, FAAD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Identify and develop brief questions to engage learners during patient presentations.
- Locate resources for directing student learning through on-line education, standardized patients, and hands-on clinical skills.
- Use a tool to track the advanced medical dermatology experience of residents, PAs, or NPs in your practice.
All dermatologists are teachers to medical students, residents, PAs and NPs, referring providers in the community, and our office staffs. How can we teach efficiently while still maintaining a busy schedule? This session will demonstrate basic skills to keep your clinic humming even when you have learners with you. It will focus on using technology, on-line teaching, and other techniques to coach students toward enhancing their own education rather than lecturing them. We'll also talk about longitudinally tracking the advanced practice skills (i.e., managing systemic medications) you teach to clinicians including residents and mid-level providers.