Materials: A Simple Pimple Recipe handout
1. Tell student that s/he wants to make a cake but doesn’t know how. What could s/he use to tell him/her how to make it?
a. Students should say, “Recipe.” If students guess incorrectly, ask, “How about a recipe?”
2. Explain that recipes tell us what goes into something and how it is made, so today we are going to learn the recipe for a pimple.
3. Explain that before they get the recipe, they’re going to talk about what they know about pimples already and what they are.
a. Ask students questions if they need prompting:
i. Why do you think we get pimples?
ii. What are some of the things that cause pimples?
iii. Do you know what pimples are made of?
b. This discussion should be about 5 minutes maximum.
4. Hand out A Simple Pimple Recipe handout.
5. Ask for student volunteers to read different parts of the recipe up until “Variations.”
a. When going over Step 3 of the handout, explain that usually the dead skin floats to the top and flakes off, but in this case, it sticks together, gets trapped inside, and helps clog the pore.
6. After reading all the Directions, explain, “It’s a little like a drain in a sink.
a. The drain is like our pore, the food is like the oil and the sink is like skin. If you have the right amount of food in the sink, it can go down the drain easily. But sometimes there is too much food and it clogs the drain. Everything gets clogged, and dirty bacteria-filled water starts to rise in the sink.”
7. Explain that during puberty, kids tend to get acne more because the body produces more oil as hormones change. This isn’t bad oil; it’s the same oil that keeps our skin soft and from drying out, but our skin makes a lot of it during puberty, creating a perfect environment for acne.
8. Ask for questions.
9. Ask students if they knew there are different kinds of pimples, and not just big and small.
a. Let students respond if they have an idea or want to respond.
10. Ask for volunteers to read the “Variations of the Simple Pimple Recipe.”
11. Afterwards, tell students, “People may have various kinds at one time. There is not one type of pimple that certain people get and others don’t. Pimples are not something only dirty people get. People can get mild acne or very severe, just depends on the person’s body.”
12. Check for questions or clarifications.