Dermatologists offer the following tips to their patients who have alopecia areata:
- Hide hair loss. If you feel embarrassed by hair loss, there are things you can do to hide patchy hair loss:
- Style your hair to cover the bald spots.
- Wear a wig, cap, hat, or scarf. These do not interfere with hair re-growth.
- Some people shave the head.
- Use makeup to draw missing eyebrows.
- Join a support group. While the above tips can hide the hair loss, people often have trouble dealing with the emotional aspects of hair loss. Because the emotional aspects can be so difficult, you may want to join a support group. You'll find a link to NAAF, which offers support groups, below.
Offers social networking with links to many groups.
Bald Girls Do Lunch (blog)
Written by a woman who has AA, includes tips, research news, and more.
Children's Alopecia Project
Website includes tips for coping.
National Alopecia Areata Foundation
Offers message boards, support groups, and pen pal program.
Learn more about alopecia areata: