The Academy has established a program of educational activities that is fair, balanced, objective, evidence-based, and free of commercial bias. The AAD’s CME program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). These activities provide opportunities for delivering and improving the quality, safety, and cost-effectiveness of patient care and outcomes. The Academy encourages the development of professional lifelong learning values, individual self-assessment, self-directed learning repertoire, evaluation of performance in practice, and continuing professional development.
The Academy provides many resources to engage in self-directed learning. These resources include the following:
- Patient Safety in Dermatology: This online module was developed specifically for dermatologists. Learn ways to reduce common errors and improve patient safety in your practice.
- Performance Improvement CME (PI CME): This Web-based program was created to help dermatologists assess their performance and meet the requirements of Maintenance of Certification.
- Chronic Urticaria Cases: These Web-based cases help both dermatologists and allergist/immunologists learn about evidence-based practices for management of chronic urticaria.
- Dialogues in Dermatology: This subscription-based learning tool keeps dermatologists informed about important topics in dermatology in convenient formats and quick, 20-minute segments. Download issues onto your MP3 player, review printable transcripts of the session, and view links to additional verified references for further self-study.
- JAAD CME quizzes: Continuing Medical Education (CME) quizzes for JAAD CME Article and Exam are available to Academy members.
- Dermatology Self-Assessment Program (DSAP): Review and enhance your knowledge with this comprehensive review of dermatology. DSAP (formerly MOCmd) aids in examination preparation, self-assessment and earning CME. It also can be used to fulfill Component 2 of Maintenance of Certification (MOC).
- The ABCs of Accredited CME: This is an online educational activity for planners and speakers that is sponsored by the American Academy of Dermatology and The France Foundation. It is designed for dermatologists and other individuals involved in planning and implementing accredited CME and is comprised of 10 slide sets with synchronized audio. Each slide set can viewed independently.