The Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award is given to a practicing AAD member dermatologist who exemplifies compassionate, patient-centered care.
Award: The dermatologist who receives this high honor will receive a monetary award of $1,000. In addition, expenses for the winner to attend the AAD Annual Meeting, including airfare and accommodations, will be reimbursed up to $2,000. The recipient will be honored at the recognition luncheon during the Academy's 2016 Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. The winner also will be recognized in Dermatology World.
To nominate an AAD member, click on the "nominate" button below.
Nominees must meet at least five of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate compassion and empathy in the delivery of patient care.
- Show respect for patients, families, and coworkers. Demonstrate cultural sensitivity when working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds.
- Display effective, empathetic communication and listening skills.
- Understand a patient's need for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments and make an effort to ensure patient comprehension.
- Comprehend and show respect for the patient's viewpoint.
- Is sensitive to the patient's psychological well being and identifies the emotional concerns of patients and family members.
- Engenders trust and confidence.
- Displays competence in scientific endeavors.
- No sitting member of the Member Recognition Committee shall be eligible for nomination.